This simple to follow recipe for homemade sourdough bread will revolutionise your meals. Once you learn to bake your own bread at home you'll never want to buy it again. Besides it being delicious, it's super healthy and it's perfect for any allergens you might have. I highly recommend weighing with an LCD Scale all your ingredients when making sourdough bread, It's more accurate and also ultimately easier.Prep time: 6 hours
- 3+ cups flour white whole wheat, whole wheat, unbleached, or a combo
- 1 ¼ cups warm water (1/4 cups works for a 100% hydration starter, fed an equal ratio of flour to water. Adjust yours accordingly.)
- 3/4 cup active sourdough starter 75%-100% hydration (Do this to personal preference)
- 1 ½ teaspoons or 21 grams of Himalayan pink salt
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and then let sit for 15 minutes.
Using a dough hook, knead for 5 minutes. If making by hand, knead for 8 to 10 minutes. The dough should be tacky, but not cling to your fingers. You may add more flour as needed, a little at a time.
Transfer the dough to a medium-sized bowl that is lightly coated with organic olive oil. Cover the bowl with plastic and let rise for 3 hours. Turn the dough every 30 min.
After 3 hours, remove dough from bowl and turn and fold again. Place the dough back in the bowl and let rise for another 2 hours.
After the second rise, place a square of parchment paper on a cookie sheet or place dough on a Stone Skillet and sprinkle the dough with flour and gently shape the dough into a ball or oval and set on the parchment paper. Cover your hands and fingers with flour and start pushing in the edged under the loaf to get the shape wanted. (If using the stone skillet, the bread will mould to it) Make sure to place a good layer of flour on top of the dough.
- After shaping the loaf on the parchment on the counter place either a baking stone, cast iron skillet, or cookie sheet into a cold oven and preheat to 450 degrees.
- Spray the dough with water right before putting in the oven to bake so it creates steam. Also, if you have any deep lid that will fit over the dough and allow to rise, you can add that or try tenting aluminium foil over the top.
- Baking: Slash and turn around and bake 15 minutes, turning the dough halfway, and then bake until done, another 15 to 20-25 minutes.
Remove and place on a wire rack to cool at least 30 minutes before cutting.
You can cut the bread into thin or thick slices, depending on your personal taste. Use our Ceramic Knife Set to cut the perfect slice without breaking the bread apart. Don't be discourage if your bread doesn't come out perfect the first time you make it. Bread making is all about finding your own groove. Take these baking instructions and make them your own. You can add some honey to make the bread a little sweet, or add more flour or salt or anything you like to make your bread your own. Use this recipe to inspire you!