Easy and Healthy Homemade Hummus
Homemade hummus has never been easier to make! This will be the perfect snack to have in your fridge this summer. You can enjoy your hummus with any vegetable that you like or with some delicious pita bread! It can also be the perfect breakfast when spread on top of some whole wheat toast!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 1 can of chickpeas (15 oz) or 1 1/2 cups of cooked chickpeas (250 grams) - Get the perfect measurement with our LCD Display Scale
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (1 large lemon)
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped with our Vegetable Chopper.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tea spoon of sea salt (add more to taste)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of cold water
- For Serving: ground paprika or sumac, drizzle of extra virgin of olive oil, fresh chopped parsley.
- Place the chickpeas in a medium saucepan and cover the chickpeas by several inches of water. Boil over high heat for about 20 minutes, or until the chickpeas are soft and/or their skins are falling off. Drain hot water with our pot strainer. Add cold water and set aside.
- In a food processor or high-powered blender, combine the lemon juice, garlic and salt. Process until all ingredients are mixed well together and let mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the tahini to the garlic mixture in the food processor and blend until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- While running the food processor, drizzle in 2 tablespoons of cold water. You will need to add more tablespoons of cold water depending if your tahini mixture was too thick. The end mixture should be smooth and creamy.
- Add the cumin and the over-cooked chickpeas, drained of all the water to the food processor. While blending, drizzle in the olive oil. Blend until the mixture is super smooth. Add water if the mixture is not creamy enough.
- Scrape the hummus into a serving bowl or platter. Top with ground paprika or sumac, extra virgin olive oil and finely cut parsley.
Serve and enjoy! You can always make this recipe your own by adding in more salt or lemon juice to make it more zesty! The leftover hummus keeps well covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Store it or take it in our Bento LunchBox. Homemade Hummus will be the perfect healthy snack for the family to enjoy this hot summer!