Inside Out Turkey Cheeseburgers
These unique cheese-stuffed burgers feature flaxmeal, which is high in cholesterol-lowering soluble fiber and hearthealthy alpha-linolenic acid (ALA).
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 1¼ pounds lean ground turkey (weigh it using our digital scale)
- ½ cup flaxmeal (2 oz)
- ½ small red bell pepper, finely diced (use our all in one kitchen shredder for easy and fast results)
- 2 scallions thinly sliced (save time with our small chopper)
- 6 Tbsp reduced-fat soft goat cheese, divided, preferably one flavored with herbs or garlic
- ¾ tsp salt (measure it to manage your sodium intake)
- 4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups of very thin whole-wheat sandwich rolls (1.5 oz each), split or 8 slices multigrain bread (optional)
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (or spray it for enhanced taste)
- 4 cups of thick slices tomato (cut to perfection using our handheld slicer)
- Bibb lettuce (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, flaxmeal, bell pepper, scallions, 2 Tbsp of the goat cheese, and ½ tsp of the salt (use our food chopper to mix and grind together)
- Using your hands, blend well and form into 4 balls. Poke a hole into the center of each ball and stuff each with 1 Tbsp of the remaining goat cheese.
- Pinch the turkey mixture to seal in the cheese and gently form into 4 patties. Make them as flat as you can (to speed the cooking), taking care not to squeeze the cheese out.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat (try our stone induction pan for best performance). Sprinkle the pan with the remaining ¼ tsp salt. Reduce the heat to medium, add the patties, and cook until browned on one side, about 3 minutes (use our cooking utensils for best results).
- Turn the patties over and cook for 2 minutes longer (use our special tongs to grasp the patties). Add ¼ cup water to the pan, reduce the heat to a high simmer, and cover. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the burgers are cooked all the way through (pro tip: protect your stove from stains and oil)
- Meanwhile, lightly toast the sandwich rolls, if using. To serve, brush one side of each of 4 roll halves with the balsamic vinegar (use our cooking brush for best results).
- Top with a burger, a tomato slice, lettuce (if using), and the other roll half.
- Bonus: make more than you need and eat use for lunch at the office using our steel containers, or share with your friends.
Use our towel rack to clean up as you cook, and make sure to make space for your utensils using our cabinet hooks. Make your kitchen space simple to work with. Cycle this recipe every 3-4 weeks and enjoy a schedule that is tasty, fits your lifestyle and is equally nutritious.
Check our collections below and make use of your kitchen, the right way. Your transition to a healthy lifestyle is easier than you think.
Nutritional information per serving: 371 calories, 11 g fat, 1 g saturated fat 46 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 832 mg sodium.
Photo provided by SouthBeachDiet.com